Gold plated jewelry helps when looking at the price tag, but there are things you need to know in order to extend their glamorous lifespan. Before you purchase your next beautiful gold plated piece from Beauty Bar, let’s learn their proper care.
Factors That Affect Gold Plating
- Thickness of the plating.
- Regularity of contact with chemicals. Whether it be hairspray or kitchen cleaner, minimizing contact with chemicals is wise.
- Activities performed while wearing the plated piece. Overtime your piece comes into contact with something, the plating is being worn down. Be careful when and wear your where your jewelry.
- Your skin type. The pH of your skin can also affect the speed of deterioration. There are some levels that cause the plating to wear in mere days.
Care Do’s and Don’ts
- First and most obvious piece of advice is be careful where you wear your jewelry. If its time to do chores around the house or use various tools for your next project, take it off, especially rings!
- Try to avoid high temperatures or oils when out on a sunny day. The heat will make you sweat, which can lead to the wear of the plating. The gym is another no, no area for gold plated jewelry for this reason
- Don’t use traditional jewelry cleaners. Instead, utilize a soft cotton cloth and warm water sparingly. Make sure to limit its exposure to water.
- Avoid storing your jewelry in a case made of oak, or even cardboard. These materials contain sulfur, which will release fumes that will cause tarnishing and damage. The material the piece came in or a velvet/silk pouch to keep them the most safe.
Gold plated jewelry can last for years, as long as you take care of them. Enjoy and check out our glamorous gold plated jewelry in our Beverly Hills Boutique or online!